Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Updates from Michael and Steve - 5-5-2008

Melissa Updates as 2008-05-05 Mon
Day 46 in PICU of CHOC, Orange, California

Dear Friends,

We celebrated Mother's day one week early yesterday, thanks to Sheue-Ling, my sister-in-law, who came to stay with Melissa to enable us to have wonderful dinner with my Mom and family.

Since yesterday afternoon, Melissa has made great improvement. Her fever is gone, H/L blood pressure is normal, brain pressure ICP index is normal, heart beat is back to 110 and below. Around 4:00 p.m. she awakened and was very conscious. She responded clearly to my questions by moving her eyes and squeezing my hand.

I said to her, "Melissa, you mention earlier you plan to go to Hong Kong to learn Cantonese dialogue during the summer. When you get up, do you still want Dad to take you to Hong Kong?" Melissa squeezed my hand in response. "Melissa, you had asked me to buy a convertible BMW for you when you get your driver’s license. I told you no way … you’d better work and save money buy one for yourself. Now I’ve changed my mind. I will buy one for you when you get your driver’s license!" Again, she squeezed my hand. "Melissa, when Dad grows old in the future, you will take care of me, okay?" Melissa looked at me with great concentration without responding. I asked this question three times, but she still didn’t answer. Sheue-Ling (my sister-in-law) stood by my side and said, “Melissa, when your Dad grows old, you’ll take care of each other, okay?" Melissa squeezed my hand again! Oh, I thought, now I’ll have to prepare to keep in good shape and excellent health.

After dinner, Marlene, Melissa’s older brother, Maurice, and I went back to the hospital. Maurice reached down and took her hand. Melissa held his hand very tightly because they are very, very close to each other. Both of them were crying. Maurice told her he will come every Tuesday and Thursday after school to stay with her. Melissa squeezed his hand and blinked her eye in agreement.

I give all the thanks and praise to glorify our Lord Jesus, also thanks for all of you involve the prayer.

Michael

Dear Friends,

Happy Cinco de Mayo!! Today's updates from Marlene seem to be more positive beat.

1. Melissa's weaning from Fentanyl is progressing smoothly. Symptoms are minimal. Melissa is awake but still tired.

2. Doctors are concerned with the shunt. Since it has been exposed for quite some time, the possibility of infection is present. The options are either remove it or place it inward. If removed, it suggest her body is capable to absorb and drain naturally. This would be great progress.

4. G-Tube may have to be done as soon as next Wednesday. The NG was switched from left nostril to right because there are signs of infection forming.

5. A dentist came and provided a new mouth guard/retainer to prevent Melissa from biting her tongue. Her teeth positioning has been altered because of the severe biting.

6. A new pick line on her right arm will be placed tomorrow.

7. The strength in her arms is still weak. Continue to pray for healing as the weakness was primarily caused by seizures.

8. Overall, her condition seems to be improving and her body signs are returning to near normal. What she needs now is plenty of rest.

9. Melissa misses her friends dearly. Marlene will be arranging some visits from her friends.

10. Blood pressure appears to be normal.

11. Temperature is still low grade fever at around 100° F or 37° C. During the day, the fever naturally decreased slightly without any Tylenol. This is good news.

12. Blood drain is yellowish … not redish. Let's pray for clear fluid.

Other Notes:

1. Although family visits are great, Melissa wants visits from friends, her peers. So please respect Melissa's request as her energy is limited and adequate rest is imperative. We need to allow her to gain enough strength to see her friends.

2. Continue to pray and see what time frame we can help out during the week so Marlene and Michael can take care of their daily errands and tasks.

3. Pray that her brother, Maurice, and sisters, Melodie and Mildred, will remain strong.

Thanks,
Steve

No comments: